Week Thirteen: Reading Trash Mountain

Local Sightings 2018 – Kelton Sears presents Trash Mountain: A ...

This week we are studying web comics. I chose to read Trash Mountain by Kelton Sears.

It is really amazing to see comics with various techniques such as 2D and 3D animation, combining the comic with photos and music. The story is still displayed panel by panel, but each panel is like a shot in a film. For each panel, it has its own composition and certain movement for the character. As an animation student, this is just like taking out our shots from the camera, then laying out them in a page. In this case, audiences can see all shots in once rather than waiting for the camera to show shots one by one. If we composite these panels and play them one by one, it will become an animation. I would call this as animation-comics rather than comics because of the unique style.

I am surprised to see the new way of showing comics, but I also feel distracted from the story because of the unique skills it used. Personally speaking, it tells a very abstract story to me. All I can tell it is a story about a man with a mountain maybe? I assume the topic is about environment protection but I am not sure. 

I like the style but I wish I could understand the story more.

Comments