Week Six: Reading Air Pirates Funnies


Collect this now: Mickey Mouse Meets the Air Pirates | CBR

This week we are focusing on reading underground comics. I decided to read some comics from Air Pirates Funnies this time.

Air Pirates Funnies were created by Dan O' Neill and his group members. The story is facing adults, the context usually includes sex and drugs, so even though the characters are Micky Mouse, Minnie, some silly sympathies characters that people are familiar with, it is not for children.
I found it is more interesting to read Air Pirates than other underground comics. I guess one of the reasons is the characters or the character design style is really cartoon, and people usually thought they were supposed to be innocent, pure, and positive, however, in Air Pirates Funnies they act oppositely. This kind of reverse makes readers feel excited somehow. From my point of view, I believe everyone has their Doppelgängers. One is showing to the society that has the normal behaviors and common sense, the other one is led by the instinctive desire that isn't accepted by the society sometimes but it is part of him or her. When reading Air Pirates Funnies they project themselves to the characters, watching them doing abnormal things makes them feel satisfied, it gives them an opportunity to face the deeply hidden side of themselves. 





Comments