Week Eleven: Reading This One Summer



Using Graphic Novels in Education: This One Summer – Comic Book ...

This week I read This One Summer.

This whole feeling of the story is very quiet. After I read it, I feel like I was talking with a person who was quiet and gentle. And I think this is because of the way that the comic artist shows the story. There are many places where she used a sequence of panels to depict a series of actions. This is not usual to see in the classic American comics. In Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, he talked about this kind of narrative. He said this technique is specially used in situations where the story is led by emotion rather than narration. Even though it shows the action full of details, what it focuses on is emotion. I mean characters show their emotions by showing actions. For example, the part where Windy is chewing the gummy feet. She first nibbled it, then stretched it, roll it, and finally popped it into her mouth. Readers can strongly feel her naughty personality here, and also feel the relaxing emotion she had. This kind of narrative makes the story sincere and interesting.

Another thing that I am impressed with is how real that I feel about the depiction of girls' way of thinking about adults. This is exactly what I had been thought about and curious about the adults' world when I was young. The artist observed the girl's mind very well.

Comments