Week Four: Reading Batman Comics


Batman Publication History | DC Database | Fandom

This week we are reading comic books. I chose to read Batman comics.

Batman comics has been well known nowadays. The character was created by Bob Kane. He first appeared in Detective Comics #27 1939.  

This is my first time reading original Batman comics. I've seen the newer versions, and I was impressed by the sophisticated gesture of the character and the brilliant colors of the comics. When I read the first Batman comic book, I found it is so different from the new version that I have read. Colors are simple and very saturated, the environment is very simple too, a lot of time there is no background environment in order to show the action clearly. Also, the background color is not consistent, sometimes it doesn't fit the emotion. For example, in the first Batman comics, there is a scene where Batman is fighting with Joker, however, there are three different colors applied for the different panel, some of them are orange, some of them are green, sometimes yellow is applied...so even though I know the emotion here is supposed to be tense, I didn't really have that feeling when I was reading it.

However, the story is great and impressive which is why Batman became one of the most famous hero characters in the world.

Comments